Sunday, March 21, 2010

Food Journal, Week One.

A food journal is not as easy as it sounds. I think it is working though. It's been a week since I started it and been going strong. The thought of having to write down every little (or big) thing that I put in my mouth has been a bit overwhelming and I think realizing that you have to write everything is what works against over-eating. It's a bit annoying actually. I'm hoping this will help from too much snacking. What I have found to be helpful is keeping a journal that is small and can be taken everywhere. I bought a small notebook and write down each meal, snack and drink. Everything goes in it, so if someone has a bowl of candy (yes my office has that) then if I were to eat a piece it goes in the notebook. Last week I was very good. I didn't eat any of the bagels that were brought in for St. Patrick's Day, okay it did help that they were green, a little less appetizing, but I also didn't eat the extra ice cream that was leftover from a birthday party or more than one piece of chocolate from the bowl I mentioned earlier. The next best thing would be to figure out and record the calories, but let's be realistic about this. Anyhow, I'm hoping that this will help keep snacking down and still eat healthy. I've made it through week one, let's see if I can keep it going.
Now speaking of food. I know I haven't done a lot of recipes for things other than fish, but I have another salmon recipe. I also have a make your own tortilla chips recipe too.
First, honey dijon salmon with walnut crust. The recipe calls for pecans, but I had walnuts.
1 pound of salmon, 1 tblsp of olive oil, 3 tblsp of butter,melted, 1.5 tblsp honey, 3 tblsp mustard, 1/4 c bread crumbs, 1/4 c nut, walnuts or pecans, 1 tblsp parsley, chopped, 1/4 tsp thyme, salt and pepper.
400 degrees, sm bowl combine oil, honey, mustard and butter. Set aside. In another bowl combine breadcrumbs, nuts, parsley,thyme, salt and pepper. Brush the salmon with the honey mustard combo, sprinkle evenly the breadcrumbs mix. Bake for 12-15 min. It says to serve with lemon wedges, but one thing I might do another time is add a little lemon juice to the honey combo.
Calories: 312
Baked tortilla chips. Take 6 corn tortillas and lightly coat each side with and olive oil spray, and sprinkle salt. Stack each tortilla and then slice through creating triangles. Arrange the triangles on a baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes until crisp but not over done. Don't over do the oil or salt. Too much oil will make them a little soggy and take longer to bake.
Calories: 77
Those are the recipes for tonight.
This weekend was lovely. Got out for a nice hike and then had dance classes. I hope you are enjoying the warmer temps and sunshine, but be sure to remember your sunblock. The sun is getting stronger and the skin hasn't seen the light of day for several months, be careful out there. Looking forward to more summer like days in the days to come. More hiking, biking and hopefully kayaking to come.

2 comments:

Happy New Year!

  What a year 2020 was! So much so I let this blog slip through the cracks!  Well it’s a new year and I have just posted a new workout video...