Monday, March 29, 2010

Jamie Oliver, health in this country and a pasta recipe

I don't watch much reality TV. I like The Amazing Race.
Not because I care about the teams, but mostly just to see where they travel to and what tasks they need to complete. Occasionally there will be some funny, albeit sad comments, like " how is champagne made, is it wine and club soda?" Oye!My mom recommended that I check out Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. I have to say I found it interesting. here is the basic message from Jamie's web site: "
I believe that every child in America has the right to fresh, nutritious school meals, and that every family deserves real, honest, wholesome food. Too many people are being affected by what they eat. It's time for a national revolution. America needs to stand up for better food!

You live in an amazing country full of inspirational people and you have the power to change things. With your help, we can get better food into homes, schools and communities all over America and give your kids a better future."
I hope he is able to make a difference. Although so far in the first two episodes he has been met with resistance and hostility.Some of that is to be expected and understandable. Anytime someone is faced with a change from how they done something for years or getting the feeling someone has told them they way they are doing it has been wrong for all these years, there will be resistance and hard feelings. However, the health and ultimately the lives of the children are at stake and that is more important.
I want to stress that as much as we change the eating habits of this country we also need to get people moving. Exercise is the other key to healthy living and weight loss. So Let's get to the gym, workout outside when possible or even get to a class, like aerobics, or dance. Next add healthy, fresh and unprocessed foods to the diet.
Recipe for today:
Pasta with pesto
Pasta of your choice (spaghetti, penne)
Cook pasta
Saute mushrooms, garlic, onions and other vegies of your choice (spinach is another good one)
When pasta is done add a pesto sauce, olive oil and the toss with the vegies, sprinkle on grated Parmesan cheese.
Simple, quick and good for you.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum I will be right over. Oh you are not serving it today? Well, I request it the next time I come visit. That and a pie. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Happy New Year!

  What a year 2020 was! So much so I let this blog slip through the cracks!  Well it’s a new year and I have just posted a new workout video...