Friday, April 20, 2012

My Workouts

I'm often asked what my workouts consist of. I have many answers to this as it can vary from week to week and season to season. My summer workout can be very different from my winter one, or at least from a more typical winter one. So I thought in this blog post I'd describe what a week might look like, how workouts change from season to season and outline a typical in gym workout.

A typical week: Monday off, Tuesday 2 hours of dance classes, Wednesday 1 hour spin & 1 hour Bodypump class. Thursday or Friday a run, the other day off, Saturday 1 hour spin, 1 hour free weights, half hour swim, Sunday is dance practice in the morning and then maybe an hour of yoga, or a long bike ride. When the weather is nice a bike ride or run is in order. During the summer most weekends have bike rides, runs, swimming, and/or kayaking. When cooler, the workouts are mainly in the gym.

What does my weights workout look like?

As I walk to and from the gym and often am doing weights after a spin class I don't do a typical warm-up.

Squats: 3-4 sets 15-20 reps usually add bicep curls and shoulder presses.
Lunges: 3 sets 8 reps may add bicep curls or ab twist
Chest press: 3 sets 10-12 reps
Bicep concentration curls: 3 sets 10 reps
Triceps extension: 3 sets 12 reps
Bench dip: 3 sets 15 reps
Single arm row: 3 sets 10-12 eps
Lateral pulldown: 3 sets 10 reps
Bicycle crunch: 3-4 sets 25 reps
Plank

Exercises will vary depending on what I most want to work on and what the timeframe is. Combination exercises are great if short on time, and circuit training is also great for moving from each thing more quickly and keeping the heart rate up. There are so many exercises that I'll change things up from time to time just to keep the muscles guessing.
Let's keep moving!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year!

  What a year 2020 was! So much so I let this blog slip through the cracks!  Well it’s a new year and I have just posted a new workout video...