Friday, October 31, 2014

Train Your Whole Body

Some athletes only train one way, whatever it takes to be the best_(fill in the blank:tennis player, swimmer, cyclist...) This is important for their sport, but can seriously overwork certain muscles. It's important to train in many ways. Strength, endurance, balance and agility are all things that help you functionally. Having a balanced body will help keep you healthy or help you recover faster. I use cardiovascular training (running, cycling, swimming, plyo-exercises, dancing to keep my heart healthy, to keep me going longer and to work the muscles in a different way. I use balance and agility training keep my mind healthy and prevent falls and I use strength training so I can get myself back up if I fall. I'm not kidding. Strength training strengthens muscles and bones. You can be the best runner in the world, but if you don't have the strength to get yourself back up after a fall, running isn't going to do you a bit of good. Next time you are in the gym think about all the different ways you can work your body/mind to have a complete body workout and live a longer healthier life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year!

  What a year 2020 was! So much so I let this blog slip through the cracks!  Well it’s a new year and I have just posted a new workout video...