Monday, July 9, 2018

My road to my first triathlon



This past weekend I completed my very first triathlon! This was the inaugural Women's Philadelphia Triathlon. It was an incredible experience and I may actually compete in another one.😲
How did I get here you might ask. What made me want to  compete in a race with three disciplines? Good question. This journey actually started several years ago, like 7 I think. I was still a member at the local YMCA and had made friends with  a couple of ladies that decided we should start running races and also that if we were already doing that and swimming and spinning that we should compete in a triathlon. I was on board with that. Why not, sounded like fun. I did run my first race, an 8k with one of my friends and was signed up to do another race in New Orleans, that I ended up not doing. That was my only race I've ever not done once signed up.

Somehow the idea of doing a triathlon got lost over time. One of my friends has been consistently competing and is a triathlon rock star. I then left the Y and the triathlon idea lingered but I didn't put much effort into doing one. I continued with some small running races every year, usually one or two a year, and always 5K's until this year when I ran another 8K. I can't remember how it happened exactly, but I had started looking around for a triathlon that looked good for a newbie, that wasn't so popular that it would be full of elite competitors and that wasn't too far away. And going on the theme of not so popular, I didn't want a triathlon that I might actually know anyone competing. I know that sounds really strange, but it's that weird feeling of, I don't want someone I know to see me do something for the first time. I kind of had that same thing when people said maybe we should come see you, when I did this one and I said sure, just don't tell me until after that you are here. lol
There were a couple that sounded interesting, but I just couldn't commit. Then I happened onto this one. It sounded perfect. It was new, women only, pool swim and only 2.5-3 hours away. I signed up. I decided if I was going to race a tri this was my best option for my first one and it turned out no one I knew was going. I had also entered into the Just do it (Thanks Nike) phase of my life. My just do it things included traveling to a friends beach resort in The Dominican Republic by myself, getting my first tattoo, signing up for my first half marathon (remember my second 8K, this was the first year for that event along with a half marathon, so I decided I'll do that next year. Yikes, but I have time to train.AND doing my first triathlon.

So what did I need for a triathlon? Well fortunately I was already swimming, biking and running, and I had a swimsuit, bike and running shoes. I did decide to get a better swimsuit as the one I had was a bit stretched out and although I used goggles, hadn't used a cap before, don't laugh too hard, I put on backwards my first time 😂 I looked into joining a triathlon club, but decided that since I was only doing one, that I would just save my money and train on my own. I came up with a plan, it wasn't as aggressive as some. I know people who train for theirs by swimming, spinning, and running a couple times a week, going for at least one open water swim and also going for a long bike ride on the occasional weekend. I was doing well if I got in one or two swims, one bike ride and one run a week. I did make sure to do a couple of brick workouts, which I had to look up to understand that it just means putting two or all three things together in one workout day. So I did a swim to spin and then two bike to runs (that was hard, legs felt tired by the run). I also trained hills on my bike, and I'm glad I did as there was one this weekend. I mostly trained with music but ditched it as it closer  because rules state NO music devices allowed. This was a little challenging and is where pep talks come in or counting one two or something to stay motivated. During this training I was still trying to keep up with my strength training which if I was teaching classes made it easy, however when I wasn't I needed to make sure I got those in. Cross training is important anyway, and just as important if you are training for any other sport. I think I did pretty well with my training and realized as the race date got closer that I probably wasn't going to improve on speed, but made sure I could feel really good with distance, so I usually trained longer distances in all three. However I did need to know my rough times for each thing and based on that set a goal that I wanted to reach to complete the entire event; 1 hour 30 minutes. I was just over that by 5 minutes, I am happy with being that close to my goal. Yes, I did set a goal, I had many people say the goal could be to just finish your first one, and I understand that is a good goal, for me though, I really wanted to put a time to it.

Training by myself turned out to be fine, I do a lot of my workouts alone. I see where training with others though could be motivational and a little more fun. Especially on long bike rides or having someone to pace a run with. Swimming is solitary by nature, it's not like you can talk to the person next to you. 😀 Being part of a team or at least signing up with someone else does make the event as a whole more fun, you have others there doing the same thing as you cheering you on as you cheer them. That is one thing I would certainly change for another one. The atmosphere at this race was AWESOME! The people all cheering for everyone automatically made you a part of a group of people none of whom you knew. That's a fantastic feeling!

Leading up to race day I was getting nervous. Not entirely sure why. I had trained for this. I was comfortable with swimming, cycling and running. I think it just had to do with logistics of the event, more than the event itself. Driving up to Philadelphia, where was I going, would I get there when I wanted on Saturday for that days events? Would I know when to be where and how all the courses would go?  Fortunately they sent out a great big athlete guide that I downloaded, printed and highlighted, yes, I still highlight. It had everything in it. Any questions I didn't see an answer to, I messaged them, and they responded right away. I also watched all of their social media videos of how this would go and questions with answers. These were super helpful. It was also becoming apparent that the people putting on this event wanted the overall theme to be fun. Yes, you had to abide by certain rules, but they wanted to make sure you didn't get so stressed out that you had a bad experience (they had a psychologist there on hand if needed) and of the 1350 registered athletes, over 600 of us were new. They completely recognized this.  By race weekend I had watched these videos, read the guide more than once, and made sure I knew where I was going. I got everything packed two nights before and rechecked the bag more than once, maybe three times, making sure I had everything. I had my plan of what I was going to wear for each thing (most people in triathlon buy a tri kit that they wear for the entire thing, I didn't and I didn't need a wet suit (score!)) I practiced taking off and putting on the different pieces, so it would go as smoothly as possible come race day. I packed everything up and drove up to PA on Saturday. The traffic made the travel time a little longer than I had hoped, but I made it just in time to check in and listen to the first meeting. I missed the open swim, which was fine and the panel, which I think was fine as well. After the Q&A, I decided to take my maps and walk around getting a feel for where each event would start and finish. I also looked at the pool and went into transition where I decided I would rack my bike the night before.We were assured there would be armed guards on the premises to watch the bikes. I also figured that was one less thing I would need to worry about the next morning. After I felt comfortable with the area and what I needed to do there, I left and went to the hotel. I walked around the parking lot to figure out my route out of the parking and onto the route back to the race. My biggest worry by this time was just parking the next morning as I was still a bit unsure of exact parking places. So I decided I would get there as early as possible, which meant getting up really early, which ultimately meant going to bed really early 😐

Race day started super early, but because I went to bed early, got up early, and I got to the event early meant I had no trouble parking, one more thing not to be worried about. First thing was to check on the bike and take all my stuff (helmet, goggles, swim cap, clothes, shoes etc..) and set up in the proper spot next to the bike (you mount the bike on the rack by the seat, so stuff goes under your neighbors back tire and to the left of your front tire). By then I was chatting with the people around me and took another walk around now that more signs and barriers had been set up so I could get a better feel for how it should all go. I then went back to transition and kind of hung out until 30 minutes before the swim was to start. It was picture/selfie and chatting time. People were asking the volunteers about stuff and we got our body marking done (race number on each arm and age on the back of one calf). That made it interesting to walk around and see what everyones age was.
A half hour before the swim was to start the transition area was closed and we all made our way towards the pool. About 15 minutes before we put ourselves behind the swim time sign that best fit our time for completing 400 meters, which was then changed to 350 meters due to a lane marker challenge. And we waited until it was our turn to start the swim. I met a girl who was also doing this for the first time and said they have us jump in two at a time, want to jump in with me? She was all for that, although after we hit the water I lost her for the rest of the race. Having watched from the pool deck the chaos that was the pool swim, I figured I'd just have to do the best I could going around people. I hit the water, started my strokes and just pushed on forward, between, and around until I finished snaking my way through the pool. Arms and legs collided, and at times I had to slow or stand and wait as people got bunched up. I distinctly remember about halfway thinking to myself this is a fight or flight moment and I could understand where someone might panic as it was a bit of a mess, but I plowed my way through (as nicely as I could). I had a job to do and complete.
Once out of the pool it was time for T1 as it's called. Transitioning yourself from swim to bike. I changed clothes, put on shoes, helmet, etc and grabbed my bike and as soon as I got to the mount your bike line, I did and I was off. This is my strongest discipline. I made up time, I cruised as I could although trying to remember not to push my legs to failure cause I needed them for the run, oh right, the run. There was a gradual hill at the end, so I knew I needed to keep some energy for that. I had lost all track of time in the pool, I wasn't quite sure where I was on the bike course. As strange as it sounds I remember saying to myself, oh I've never been so happy to see a hill, cause I knew that was almost the end. As I went up the hill I tried to encourage those that were struggling. It wasn't the hardest hill, but it was still a hill. Dismount the bike at the line, T2 and time to run. Ugh! This part I had trained, this part I knew would be challenging and it was. I did keep myself running the entire way and had a better idea of my time and knew I was within my goal time. I just kept going and as the finish came in sight, oh wait, that wasn't it, and came in sight again and the crowd was cheering and as I neared the line I heard my name, I just shot off like a really slow rocket and crossed over the finish line of my first triathlon! What an accomplishment, 8 years after I said I wanted to try a tri, I had not only tried, I'd completed and in my goal time! It's an amazing feeling to complete a goal that you had created and worked hard for. I have to be honest and say after the adrenalin started to wear off I almost cried. I knew all along I could do this and I knew what my body was capable of. I knew that there were family and friends cheering for me virtually and yet it was a surreal feeling to know that I had finished. When I was swimming I didn't think of anything but getting through people without causing harm. When I was biking I had time to think and told myself that I was almost 2/3's done. When I was running I was telling myself there's one mile, done, two miles done, 3 miles done and everyone else was telling me the finish is there, keep going. I walked back to transition to collect my stuff and of all the people I talked with the day before and the day of, telling me if this was their first or third or whatever. And telling me like Sarah, who jumped into the pool with me that she was runner and thought why not learn to swim and do a triathlon, or even the lady that said, I backed out of the swimming this time and will do the duathlon, and the triathlon next year. Of all those people the one lady that summed everything up for me and should be the message for everyone out there that wants to do something for themselves was a woman who said, I do everything for everyone else, my kids, my husband, my family, friends, my job, and I did this for me. It's my first triathlon and I don't remember the last time I felt like this. I did this! I said yes, you did and you did it for you! Way to go!
We congratulated each other and moved on.

This accomplishment was a long time coming, but I did it and so can you. It doesn't matter if it's a triathlon, marathon, going to the gym, vacationing by yourself, whatever goal you create. Remember you can do it, you can do anything! Live a can do, just do it life! Live a for me life! A this is my one shot life! Life is a gift, it can be long, or short. Do with it what you can in the time you are given. I'm so thankful for the opportunities I'm given in order to make the most of this gift.

Will I do another triathlon? Most likely there will be another one in my future, but for now, I train for the half marathon next year that I talked myself into signing up for. Why? Because I can!

Love and gratitude,
Lori

















No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy New Year!

  What a year 2020 was! So much so I let this blog slip through the cracks!  Well it’s a new year and I have just posted a new workout video...