Friday, March 11, 2011

Personal Training Exams and relaxation in SW Florida

I survived! Last weekend I finally took the AFAA (Aerobics and Fitness Association of America) Personal Training workshop and exams. This was an amazing experience. Two and a half days of workshops reviewing all the information in the textbook, with practices in taking fitness assessments, meeting and teaching clients. Very helpful for getting ready for the written and practical exams taken the second half of day three. I was such a wreck by the end of the second day I didn't sleep well, but with the gym practical on day 3 I was more confident for the practical exam. I highly recommend AFAA if you are considering becoming a PT. If hands-on studying works better for you, I suggest the workshops.
I now wait for 4-6 weeks for my results. Obviously I hope to have passed both exams and receive my personal training certification. If I didn't pass one or both I'll have to re-take, however I will now know what is expected and should certainly pass a second go-round. I haven't wanted to speculate on how I did, because I'll become too obsessive about it. Next step is to create a business plan and decide if I want to work for someone or venture out on my own. I like things about both ideas. For now, I'll gather advice from others and wait. Waiting is about as hard as studying. Wait, wait, wait...

After practically living at the gym for the last weekend, it was nice to get away and relax a few days in the warmth and sunshine of Southwest Florida. Visiting family, kayaking, swimming, and lounging at the beach was all I could handle. It was a really nice time and I managed to snap a few photos of wildlife while relaxing. I've posted to my Flickr account. Please check those and my other photos out. http://www.flickr.com/photos/wildlife2011/
Always take my camera with me everywhere I go. I figure there will be a great photo out there.

If you have advice for working in a gym or on my own or have a photo site you want to share, please feel free to send to me.

Will let you know when I have my certification, can't wait to get started helping people make and reach their fitness goals!

5 comments:

  1. Very nice blog, now to check out the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To check out the photos, please copy and paste the link. Accidentally left off the hyperlink.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you passed! It's an awesome new adventure for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, and nice blog~ I bet you could do a little of both. Working for yourself and as part of a team. my two cents.

    ReplyDelete

Happy New Year!

  What a year 2020 was! So much so I let this blog slip through the cracks!  Well it’s a new year and I have just posted a new workout video...